Home / Gist / Jamie Vardy reveals death threats over alleged involvement in Claudio Ranieri’s sacking

Jamie Vardy reveals death threats over alleged involvement in Claudio Ranieri’s sacking

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has revealed he received death threats after it was alleged by UK Media outfits that he played a major role in the sacking of former coach Claudio Ranieri, barely 9 months after winning the club’s first premier league title.

Leicester City prior to Ranieiri’s sack were languishing in the relegation zone and the club owners shockingly made the decision to sack the Italian manager, replacing him with Craig Shakespeare.
It had been reported that senior players such as Jamie Vardy and Schmeichel had asked the owners to sack Ranieiri – but the players have categorically denied the claims
And now Jamie Vardy has revealed that he received death threats from Leicester fans over the alleged gang-up.
In an interview published by Guardian UK newspapers on Tuesday morning, Vardy said:

 “The story is out there, then people pick it up and jump on it and you’re getting death threats about your family, kids, everything,” Vardy said. “I try to get on with it but when people are trying to cut your missus up while she’s driving along with the kids in the back of the car it’s not the best. It’s happened plenty of times. It is terrifying.”

 Vardy said the threats had been made “on social media, walking down the street, you name it” and insisted he was wrongly named as one of the players who allegedly turned against the manager who won the first league championship in Leicester’s history.
He also denied there was a problem with the players and their former manager.

 “No, not at all. Basically if there was an issue you went and did it in the gaffer’s office, man to man. Or you did it on the tactics board because he was happy for you to come in and put your opinion across.

“Apparently the meeting that got him sacked I read one story that said it was straight after the Sevilla game. Absolute shambles. It said I was personally involved in a meeting when I was actually sat in anti-doping for three hours. The stories were quite hurtful. A lot of false accusations were being thrown out there and there’s nothing us, as players, could do about it.”

Vardy was also criticized for not posting a farewell message to his former manager on his social media account, immediately after his sacking.. But he has revealed that he took over 48 hours to post a social media message because ‘it was very hard’ for him.

“I can understand what you are saying but, personally, my tweet was [meant to be] going out straightaway, but I wrote it that many times I couldn’t quite get the wording right. You don’t know what to say. It was 24 hours before I did it but we had just got back from Seville. We were delayed, landed, then went straight home, kids in the bath and straight to bed myself. 

“It’s hard. Don’t get me wrong, what he did for Leicester was unbelievable and nobody would have expected that [title] in a million years. We can only thank him for that. The way this season has gone, players never seem to be the ones who get the sack. It always falls on the manager and that is what has happened. We are all sincerely gutted that it did.

“I get abuse at every stadium that I turn up at. You are always going to get stick from fans. It is part and parcel of football. I’m one that carries on and winds them up a bit. Do I enjoy it? Yeah, it’s just me. I couldn’t tell you why I get it, but it’s part of the game. I am not really fussed about it. It’s fine by me.”

Vardy also explained why he had not chosen to report the death threats to the police. “All that can happen is they get banned on Twitter,” he said.

“People get cut up but if there’s no cameras you’re screwed.”

Comments

comments

Check Also

15 Online Business Ideas You Can Start Tomorrow

When you dream of opening your own business, you might envision four white walls and …